Jacob Thompson House (ca.1811), pictured here, located at Thompson and Main Streets in Monson, is owned by the Monson Historical Society.
In 1812, Jacob Thompson, a young lawyer in Holland, MA, decided to move his growing family to Monson. He purchased a 100 acre parcel of land just north of the Meeting House from Joel Norcross, one of his clients & immediately started building this Georgian style home.
Monson was a fast growing community with several mills springing up along the Chicopee Brook. Monson Academy had opened its doors to students six years before. Business opportunities were brisk.
Jacob Thompson House c. 1812
(drawing by Virginia Midyette)
Home Photos Information Officers Activities History Book Emily Dickinson Flynt Quarry Monson Academy
Monson Historical Society
Purpose of the Society
To obtain and preserve historical data and articles pertaining to the town of Monson, MA.
To encourage and develop the pursuit and expression of such interests in all suitable ways.
Sunday, May 18
Jacob Thompson House
corner Main & Thompson Sts
All are welcome
Light refreshments will be served.
Our President Dennis Swierad will deliver a talk about Civil War Captain George Howe, from Monson. His sword is on display in the GAR Hall (Dennis will have it at the Annual Meeting for all to see).